Author Topic: Decatur Pubs  (Read 5804 times)

geonuc

Decatur Pubs
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »
... rock. This city has a lot of pubs where you can get great beers and mostly decent pub food, or better. When I head out, I have a difficult time deciding which to go to.

Leon's
Brick Store
Twain's
Thinking Man Tavern
The Grange
Steinbeck's
Jame Joyce (OK, that's in Avondale. Close.)

Have I missed any?

I think my faves are Thinking Man and Twains. Thinking Man has a great atmosphere, a fabulous Amercian craft beer selection and decent food. Twain's brews the best beer in the city, a great long bar and has the best hot wings.

Loundry

Re: Decatur Pubs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »
Decatur seems to be the place to be for a real American / Georgian pub experience.  I'm so envious.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »
Ok, I really need to start branching out.  We always end up at Leon't, but this list has reminded me of how may other great spots are in my hood.  Don't forget The Corner Pub on College!
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

geonuc

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:15:12 AM »
I haven't been to the Corner Pub, but honestly, in looking at their beer list, I haven't been too impressed. Still, I should try it. They're pouring Magic Hat #9 right now, which I like. How's the food?

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 06:11:23 AM »
The food is solid, but I agree that the quality of their beer list is slightly below that of the others.  One positve is that their kitchen is open late, which is good for those late-night munchies.

And there's always TacoMac with their 95 beers on tap!   :)
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »
Met up with some friends the other night at the Thinking Man Tavern.  I had a couple Prima Pils from Victory and the chicken potpie special for dinner.  Good beer, good food, good service, good company...I'd go back.

geonuc

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
In my list, I omitted the 5th Earl Market. It isn't operating at the moment due to a fire at the Trackside Tavern next door, but I have hopes of its return.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 02:18:53 PM »
... rock. This city has a lot of pubs where you can get great beers and mostly decent pub food, or better. When I head out, I have a difficult time deciding which to go to.

Leon's
Brick Store
Twain's
Thinking Man Tavern
The Grange
Steinbeck's
Jame Joyce (OK, that's in Avondale. Close.)

Have I missed any?

I think my faves are Thinking Man and Twains. Thinking Man has a great atmosphere, a fabulous Amercian craft beer selection and decent food. Twain's brews the best beer in the city, a great long bar and has the best hot wings.

Twain's is my fave as well.  Great beer and I love those fried green beans!

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:37:53 PM »
In my list, I omitted the 5th Earl Market. It isn't operating at the moment due to a fire at the Trackside Tavern next door, but I have hopes of its return.

I read, I think on the Decatur Metro blog, that the owners of 5th Earl terminated their lease on the old space and do not have anything lined up at the present.  I would love to see them take another space in downtown Decatur, they were a great casual spot.

geonuc

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »

I read, I think on the Decatur Metro blog, that the owners of 5th Earl terminated their lease on the old space and do not have anything lined up at the present.  I would love to see them take another space in downtown Decatur, they were a great casual spot.
Dang. But I'm good with them opening in another spot. Truth be told, even though I love those guys and the 5th Earl was great, that little bar tucked in the corner was not the best setup.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
I'm lucky to have The Porter in my neighborhood....

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
Steinbeck's Ale House is a great little pub in Decatur's Oakhurst neighborhood.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »
I love Steinbeck's.  It's a pretty easy walk or bike ride from my house.  They always have at least one or two interesting beers on tap.  Right now the winner is cask Lenny's RIPA.  Especially in off peak hours it's my favorite pub to be in.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
I have some friends that live a few blocks from there.  I have entertained the thought of moving to Oakhurst to be close to a place like that until reality comes crashing in when I remember that my office is on Windward Parkway in Alphatater.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »
Just in case you need another place to drink in Decatur, Mac Mcgee's Irish Pub has apparently opened up the old Saba space on the square.  No website that I could find, but a post at decaturmetro.com has pictutres, including the menu. 

http://www.decaturmetro.com/2010/01/08/mac-mcgees-now-open-on-decatur-square/

Apparently, the chef is Ryan Stewart, formerly of ENO and The Glenwood, and the spouse of one Besha Rodell.

I'm tempted to try.  Anyone been yet?
                                               - Brian Andreas