Author Topic: Weber Go-Anywhere rectangular- Charcoal  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Weber Go-Anywhere rectangular- Charcoal
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »

This is just one of the best grill's to own in the world.  Real control, very close-to-the-charcoal cooking for steak or burgers or anything.  Yes it is limited in size, but it is a formidable cooking companion.  I started to light the BGE up tonight to do some lamb burgers but opted for the smaller, grill.  

Mine is table mounted, and is just perfect for those three times a week grilling jobs that seem to crop up here in nice weather.

http://www.weber.com/grills/?glid=7&mid=28

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:47:10 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Weber Go-Anywhere rectangular- Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:57:57 AM »
You've been hyping this grill so much, i might just have to get one:)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »
You've been hyping this grill so much, i might just have to get one:)

I would love to make a 12 minute video of the process.   It takes more close attention than a big grill with the fire far away from the meat (or shrimp), but it is so good in what it does that it is worth taking that 12 minutes of close attention to turn out well grilled food.  I have developed a system after using one of these since the mid 80's, I guess I could detail it in directions but a short video would really show anyone interested in how to make this inexpensive, small grill kick butt?

No matter what kind of grill it is, controlling the draft is everything.  With the Go-Anywhere, there is a terrific tight-fitting lid that stops flare-ups quickly, and a kludgy but operable lower draft control that lets you go from blow torch heat to ash covered coals quickly.  And, like most of the Weber products, when you close all of the draft openings and put on the lid, the fire goes out. I guess I retain 30% of the charcoal I start with each time?

If you have a place that one can sit up at waist level (or not) and enjoy doing charcoal, you will love it.

I am here to provide a written or verbal primer to anyone that wants to take the plunge and get one.  They cost less than a couple hours at the Brickstore...   ;)

http://www.target.com/Weber-Charcoal-Go-Anywhere-Grill/dp/B00004RALJ

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-Charcoal-Go-Anywhere-Grill/10756109

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:30:09 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:33:49 AM »
I'm interested in using it as blow torch heat...grilling yakitori and sate' and skirt steak.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »
I'm interested in using it as blow torch heat...grilling yakitori and sate' and skirt steak.

It works great for that..    shrimp on a skewer done perfectly with 2-3 minutes per side. The upside is that the ends of my metal skewers can stay over top of the unlit end of the grill so I can easily flip the skewers without lighting my sleeve on fire (again).

I purchased some 5/8" wide Greek skewers to do ground lamb or other things, but they are too long as of yet.  I plan to cut them to the length so that they will fit inside the rectangle with the lid closed.

I know this is a stretch, but since the grill is rectangular, I almost always grill on charcoal on one half of total grill leaving the other end with no fire underneath.  That enables me to quickly sear whatever it is I'm cooking and then move the food down to the no-charcoal-other-end and continue cooking it.  You can also smoke on the grill using that same method, fire on one end with nice wood chips, and food on the other end basking in the smoke and heat.  I know the dern thing is little and inexpensive, but it is WAY versatile.   and NO I do NOT work for Weber...  ::)

Now you do have to know I still love me Some Big Green Egg, and for almost everything else it fills the bill, but for those few bratwurst, or three burgers, or 6 skewers of shrimp, this small grill cannot be beat -  IMHO...

I wire the legs on mine together so that it cannot fold up if I need to move it around, since it NOT being used as a camping stove in my application I could care less about how well it stows.  It sits on a large aluminum (possibly an oven bottom liner for a large stove), and then on an old unused aluminum griddle on top of my wooden table on the fully tiled screen porch so I have only a cautious concern with sparks.  I would love to have an air venting system on the screen porch so that when things like those delicious lamb burgers start smoking I would not have to stand in the charcoal smoke.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:42:45 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 05:54:17 PM »

I know the Big Green Egg Mini-Me has come along but my old, old Weber Go-Anywhere grill still tops the charts for me.

Now there is a mod, a radical change.  This will involve some DIU work, but this griller is going to order the small GRILL GRATES for my time honored and proven small grill.   

Here is a youtube of a guy that made some mods himself, I now think that Grill Grates has the grates to fit it so you don't have to have an industrial saw.

https://youtu.be/zFwmCgUESt0

http://tinyurl.com/zgtagce

See the no DIU Grill Grate at the above URL.