Author Topic: Tasty China  (Read 56777 times)

Offline morebread

Re: Tasty China
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:01 AM »
"Is cooking" implies present tense, so he's still there? Until when? The other site sounds like he's gone already...

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »
I wonder if they were looking at The Real Mandarin House in Sandy Springs...that place has been there for ages...

Offline ShubaShuba

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »
given all the hubbub about chang being back, i went to tc on saturday for dinner.  don't know who was cooking, but overall it was a mixed bag.  i never made it to tc when chang was there before, so i guess my expectation were set pretty high, but i'd be lying if i didn't come away disappointed.  all that said, i know it was just one meal and even the best have good and bad days.

the good:
-fu qui fei pian was a damned good version.  really well flavored and hot.  interestingly it had peanuts but no cilantro.  was an interesting touch that kinda added to the saltiness (more on this later), although it lost some of the balance that cilantro adds.
-mapo dofu was a very solid version as well.  nice silken tofu and plenty of flavor and heat.  only negative on this dish was the valdez-sized oil slick - didn't stop the dish from being devoured though.
-prices are right.  with the cash discount it is a very good value.

the bad:
-salty, salty, salty.  i love big bold flavors, but many of the dishes (pickled cabbage, spicy crispy pork belly, roasted fish, dry fried eggplant) were just way too salty.  these dishes were well prepared (eggplant was cooked perfectly), but the overly heavy handed saltiness was tough to take.  the flavor of the main ingredient was lost due to the lack of balance.
-spicy crispy pork belly.  this dish doesn't do it for me.  combined with the aforementioned overbearing saltiness, fried 'bacon' just didn't taste good.  i guess i was hoping for larger chunks of pork belly with layers of fatty goodness, but the small pieces had rendered all of the gooey fat and just left fried salty pork, tossed with tasty, but overly salty goodies.
-the bathrooms.  not very clean and didn't smell nice at all.  that just isn't good.

overall:
it was far from the transcendent experience that others have had.  i have had equal or better versions of the same dishes at both delicious kabob (RIP) and man chun hong.  based on this one visit and since i live on the east side of town, it would be pretty hard to justify driving across town (especially during the week).  i can live with eggplant that isn't quite as well cooked at man chun hong, that actually retains some eggplant flavor and save the 30 mile r/t.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:18:37 AM by ShubaShuba »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:22 AM »
The massive quantities of salt have been an issue for me too on certain dishes. I also agree on teh crispy pork belly. I did not care for it at all.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
We went Friday night and I'm pretty sure that Chang wasn't doing the cooking on our dishes. They were still good, though.

We got dry fried eggplant, of course, and a duck special that might have been the fu qui fei pian mentioned above, but I don't speak Chinese so I don't know for sure. It did have peanuts in it and it was quite hot. Also got the fish with sour cabbage soup and an order of sesame bread.

The strangest thing about my visit was the service. I tried to get a little information out of her to decide what to order. In the past, I've had servers suggest that I balance my order between things that are served dry and things that are served with a sauce, plus some balance in spicy vs. not spicy. After ordering the duck and the eggplant, which I figured would be 2 dry dishes, I asked her to suggest something with a sauce. She looked a little confused but then suggested the fish soup. When I said that the fish soup was spicy, she assured me that it was not, but I've had it before so I know it is. Then, I mentioned that, since Peter Chang was there, that meant there would probably be breads, which was one of the things I remember most about my first visits in 2006. Ever since Chang left, whenever I've tried to order the fluffy breads they've always told me that they don't have them. She just looked confused again and said, "Yes, we have bread." The bread turned out to be good but not as good as I remembered.

Not to dredge up an old argument (don't hit me), but I miss Phuong.
Food is my favorite.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
Feel like I let Jason down today - General wasn't as tasty as when I last ate there. The rest made up for it, even though I can't eat a lot of hot stuff right now. Good to see his buddy again.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
hah. It's all good KoPP...remember, we blamed the drugs you were on last time you had it :)
Eggplant was crack as usual. Dan dan were better than usual...not as soupy and spicier

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »
Endured a two-day continuing education meeting up that way on Friday and Saturday. As a reward, picked up some take out from TC on Saturday evening. I had DH call ahead from home and he must have been hungry bc he ordered a ton of food for the two (and a half) of us: fried eggplant, ma po tofu, sauteed snow peas, fish in red chile oil, and chicken and mushrooms in a brown sauce. Total bill came to $59 and I barely had enough cash to cover it. I was a little annoyed at the time I picked it up but am grateful now.

Everything was very good with the eggplant and the chicken being outstanding. Even thought the chicken was not spicy, the flavors and textures work wonderfully together. Plenty of peppercorns in the tofu and the eggplant.

Offline uptown jimmy

• Email
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
Tasty China is as tasty as ever, though the general level of service was kinda pathetic. Was the woman's name Phong, the recently-departed iron-fisted ruler of the dining room? She ran a much tighter FOH ship.

But the food yesterday was phenomenal. Lordy mercy.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
what did you have UJ?

Offline Dr. Vino

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
Big news fro Dahei  Peter Chang is in the kitchen starting today.  He says 'indefinitely' but we all know what that means.
Will be going this week to see for sure.  Maybe those wontons in red chili oil will actually be palatable again!

Went Saturday.  Food was enjoyable as always, but starting to get on the oily side, especially the dry fry eggplant.  Hope it is restored this week!

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Some friends and I are planning to go on Thursday.  I haven't been there in well over a year.  Any recent diners have any outstanding dishes to recommend?

Offline Dr. Vino

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
It is confirmed.  We no longer need to 'chase the ghost' as the critics say.   Mr. Chang is alive and well and back in the kitchen with his wonderful appetizer producing wife.   The crispy and truly dry-fried dishes have been resurrected from their greasy, limp substitutes. 

Flavors are back to what I remember, and the 'sharp pepper fish' that I missed was more tender than ever (had to request that one).

Not very busy on a Tuesday night.  Word has not spread yet.

Offline steve_drucker

• Email
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2010, 04:35:05 AM »
It's all true: Mr. and Mrs Chang are at Tasty China, and their cooking is as remembered.

Tripe in Red Oil--simple, spectacular.

Pork Belly in Red Oil, ditto.

Dry Tofu enrobed fish. The hit of the evening (only possible early, before the crowds come).

Xian (style) Hamburger, Chang's take thereon. Exc.

The concert of the dish:

Flounder Chips, whole flounder with bones, twice fried. Exc.

Mr. Chang's Garlic Cradled Whole Shrimp. Super Spectacular.

Rather than coddle the cliche as is commonly said in the BlogSpace--run, don't walk.

Carpe diem.