Author Topic: Tasty China  (Read 45649 times)

Offline steve_drucker

• Email
Re: Tasty China
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
Dry fried is mere menu-ese.

It's actually twice fried.

1. Fry to doneness, remove, drain.
2. Fry flavor elements (garlic, salt, Thai chiles, Sichuan peppercorns for ma la, whatever).
3. Toss (1) into (2), rapidly coat--and serve immediately.

(1) makes the food hyper receptive to flavor enhancement.

The flavor elements in (2) are nothing if not intense.

(3) uh, I think you've got it now.

Offline morebread

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 07:57:46 PM »
1. Fry to doneness...

High/medium/low heat? How much oil?

Loundry

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 11:00:25 PM »
We visiting tonight and it was about half full.  We were afraid they were going to be slammed so we were happy.  We ordered the won ton in red chile oil soup and, for the first time, I really enjoyed it.  Steve has always loved it and I've always thought it was too picoso, but I guess my capsaicin resistance has appreciated to the point where I could finally like this dish.  The red chile tasted a lot like New Mexico red chile to me and it was fantastic.

We also ordered the "hot and numbing beef roll" (another always-order for us) and it was delicious of course.

We also ordered the "spring rolls" and they were terrible.  Throwaway dish, filled with a mushy, slimy vegetable matter.  Thankfully it was only $2.

That was enough food, but we ordered another dish anyway.  It was the smoked, deep-fried duck.  The server warned us that it was NOT spicy, and I thought that was kind of funny.  It was smoky and the skin was crispy.  It was also yummy and not dried-out, but it tasted kind of weak after having all that chile before hand.  It was cut in the authentically-stupid way so I had to pick a few sharp pieces of bone out of my mouth, but I mostly picked up bone-free pieces.

Great meal.  Yum!

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 03:55:26 PM »
Edited to add that Tasty China is offering a special Chinese New Year menu on Feb. 9 of 9 courses for $50. They are offering a discount of $20 if you buy a ticket in advance. This should be a good one if you are looking for even more ways to celebrate the holiday.

We'll be there with my family. Anyone else going?

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »
I think no one has posted an address yet.

585 Franklin Rd SE
Marietta, GA 30067

(770) 419-9849
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline MoT

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:16 PM »
Thanks, good idea...I think it was on AC.

Wonder if Geonuc kept his list from the other site?

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »
Thanks, good idea...I think it was on AC.

Wonder if Geonuc kept his list from the other site?

I wish he would keep up that list here on 285foodies.com.  Maybe one day?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 09:15:27 AM »
What's the current status as far as beer/wine? Going tonight, and I'll need to stop by the store for something to quench the flames.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »
Still BYOB. Preferably a screw top.
Food is my favorite.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 06:57:47 AM »
Was wanting to try one of my fav American-Chinese dishes - General Tso's chicken, so got up here right after the sad defeat of the US Hockey team and ordered. It's a tad expensive in relation to other items on the menu ($10), but they give you a good-sized portion. It's one of the better Generals in town - good heat to the sauce, with ginger giving it a definite tang. No broccoli or other typical veggies in evidence (some onion, however), and the chicken is boneless so folks don't have to get all worried about bone bits. I'll have to try some of the other stuff from the 'safe' side of the menu...

Offline totm

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »
I hadn't seen anything about them now having a seasonal menu.  We wanted some snow pea leaves/tips but they didn't have any.  Saw the Chinese Salad on the Seasonal Menu (maybe on the Chiefs (sic) Menu) so asked the server.  She said it was basically an American salad with a few extra things.  Don't trust her for what's what.  A fantastic melange of glass noodles, chili peppers, chili oil, some vinegar of some sort, cilantro (w/stems!), julliened carrots, julliened tofu, pork, and cabbage.  Damn, that's good stuff.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
That salad is CRAZY good. I don't know why the waitress would call it an american salad! It's anything but!

Offline BBQgeek

• Email
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »
So, I'm dying to try Tasty but when I get to out I'm usually constrained by cusines that my kids will eat.  I just checked the online menu for Tasty and I don't see anything that's necessarily kid friendly (my kids claim they don't like Chinese, but they've never really tried it).  What if anything could they eat here?  Is there a hidden children's menu?

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
Why, oh why must this place be in Marietta???

Who's up for a group visit?  Let's throw out a random date, say dinner one week from tonight, March 26?

If there is enough response, mods can you move this to where it needs to go?
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
So, I'm dying to try Tasty but when I get to out I'm usually constrained by cusines that my kids will eat.  I just checked the online menu for Tasty and I don't see anything that's necessarily kid friendly (my kids claim they don't like Chinese, but they've never really tried it).  What if anything could they eat here?  Is there a hidden children's menu?

They will make very plain lo mein noodles if that works.  Plus egg rolls.  You can also get just plain pancakes. 
(I have been there with kids)