Author Topic: Growing berries  (Read 3709 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Growing berries
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:29:43 PM »
I'm off today, can anyone tell? Random thoughts on growing berries in this zone:

We have had limited success growing strawberries in the past. They are a lot of work.

I would love to have red raspberries but it just doesn't look like they grow well here.

My MIL has had great success with blueberries.

My local garden shop, Gardenhood, has blackberry bushes. I am not wild about blackberries, but I am still sorely tempted. Anyone have any luck with them here?

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: Growing berries
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »
We have great luck with blackberries.  In fact, I will let you have all of ours.  Give it a while longer until they start growing through the juniper on our side hill and you're welcome to any and all of them.  ;)  Blackberries will grow quite well here, too well some might say.  There are thornless versions around but I'm so disgusted with the ones that "volunteer" in my yard, that I've not done much research on it.  If you keep an eye out and get to them before the birds do, you can pick them from places as random as along side the road. 

Blueberries will grow well here too.  Add in lots of that pine bark before planting. 

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
I'm off today, can anyone tell? Random thoughts on growing berries in this zone:

We have had limited success growing strawberries in the past. They are a lot of work.

I would love to have red raspberries but it just doesn't look like they grow well here.

My MIL has had great success with blueberries.

My local garden shop, Gardenhood, has blackberry bushes. I am not wild about blackberries, but I am still sorely tempted. Anyone have any luck with them here?

The only way Mom could ever grow strawberries is to set up hills using a LOT of manure. She used the variety that sent out a lot of runners, so we had to keep working on the damn things, keep them weeded, and covered with chicken fence to keep the birds/squirrels out. And back then I HATED strawberries...

Offline morebread

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
We have blackberry of a thornless kind, and it is growing like weed. Last year it gave good many berries, but now it's probably five times as big. Even some deer came over for a tasting. The taste is not that great by the way. With some sugar it makes for good preserves though.

Tried strawberries of several kinds over the last few years, without much success. Which reminds me, now it's time to order the Chandler variety for September delivery. By summer everyone will have them sold out or selling for 4x the price. Chandler is what the pick-your-own people in Loganville grow.

We have a Tifblue blueberry bush, and after initial struggle it's now doing better, but now we need another variety for cross pollination. So if anyone has a rooted cutting or something...

Offline Barnum

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »
With the power out this morning, we decided to raid the backyard of a neighbor out of town for a couple weeks.  They have 3-4 huge bushes, probably 10-15 years old.  Huge amount of green berries, but were able to get enough to satisfy our needs over morning Cereal for the week:

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 01:19:18 PM »
Hell yeah - good pickin'

There is a spot up here in Roswell off of Jones Road (somewhere close to Bowen Road - that area) that has a pick your own blueberry place.  Older lady sits on a porch and hands out buckets.  Maybe as cheap as $2 per pound (?).  I think she has squash and tomatoes too but those are picked for you and for sale.  Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in an effort to let the bushes regrow some of their fruit as opposed to being picked clean everyday.  I say all this without knowing for sure, I just heard about it a week ago from a lady at the Roswell Green Street Market. 

Anyone been?  OTP?  Northside?

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
My dad put in blueberry bushes when we were growing up. Immediately after he was forced to construct a PVC frame and net structure to ward off the birds, who stripped them constantly and left the evidence on our car. And I think he picked all of one batch before it became my brother and I's job in perpetuity. I remember having friends sleep over and my dad "suggesting" the next morning that we all go out and pick blueberries in the summer heat because gosh wouldn't that be fun! Nope.

You also need to have multiple varieties so they cross pollinate or they won't produce.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
Finally succumed and bought two blackberry bushes this year. One from Farmer D's (Natchez) and another from Whole Foods (Apache). I'm ready to have something do well in the garden other than lemongrass!

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
Our house came with about a dozen blueberry bushes, just small ones. We want to move them into a grouping instead of the row they are in now. We have been getting a few but unless you pick them just as they ripen the birds do it for you.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:12 AM »
My MIL grows blueberries very successfully here - BUT - they built a big enclosure out of PVC pipe and netting.