Author Topic: General gardening thoughts  (Read 91248 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: General gardening thoughts
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »
Thanks, I will call them!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »
let us know what they say

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
Of course..i spend th emorning driving between Hastings, Lowes and Home Depot, got home, and the seeds from Park Seed got here.
Well, not a total loss, i bought cherokee purple and a black krim tomato plants at Hastings...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2010, 11:54:45 AM »
Of course..i spend th emorning driving between Hastings, Lowes and Home Depot, got home, and the seeds from Park Seed got here.
Well, not a total loss, i bought cherokee purple and a black krim tomato plants at Hastings...

Of course!

Hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
Nope, you had warned me...in fact there were no good hybrid seeds anywhere. Next year i'll plan earlier and order earlier. No big deal. Cukes and squash planted today, cantaloupe tomorrow hopefully.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »
I just called the ASK UGA number and got a representative in Cobb County. She had never heard of a date to plant squash to avoid squash vine borers. In fact, she said to plant them early so that "you might get some fruit before the eggs get laid". She also suggested sprinkling sevin dust on the bottom of the plant. Hmmmm

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
Back in college, I was in charge of the gardening chemicals at our local variety store (go figure). We sold tons of Sevin, and this was back when malathion was readily available. Sevin was the only stuff that was 'safe' around tomatoes. It breaks down pretty quickly, though, so you have to use several applications of it to really control the bugs.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 03:13:48 PM »
But the Sevin kills the good bugs too. I may get to the point where I don't care, but I'm not sure I'll punblically admit it.

The Cooperative Extension lady did suggest Tromboncino and Tahitian squashes as resistent to borers. I've seen the trombochino but will investigate the Tahitian.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:16:06 PM by LizR »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »
Forgot to add that I picked up an Amelia tomato plant and a Black Beauty eggplant at Lowe's today. I seriously need to stay away from herb and veggie plants - I cannot resist them.

So for tomatoes that gives us: Amelia, Rose, Druzba, Early Girl, and Coeur de Boeuf.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »
Got my garden in yesterday:

Tomatoes: sun gold, yellow pear, black cherry, "beauty heirloom."

Chilies: serrano, jalapeno, Chile de arbol, coloro-casacabella (found it at Pikes)

Herbs: rosemary, mint, fennel, sage, Thai Basil. Mint is far far away and is welcome to overtake its space.

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »
Put in the ground yesterday from Cross Country Nurseries (thanks for the hook-up geo, where ever you

You're welcome. For the first time in many years I didn't order any plants from Cross Country. This year I just have a few plants growing. I did buy an Earth box based on recommendations here.

Offline totm

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 08:53:15 AM »
Put in the ground yesterday from Cross Country Nurseries (thanks for the hook-up geo, where ever you

You're welcome. For the first time in many years I didn't order any plants from Cross Country. This year I just have a few plants growing. I did buy an Earth box based on recommendations here.

I didn't order from Cross Country last year and was dispappointed in my Chef Jeff's plants from Hastings.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »
Squashed my first Mexican bean beetle on a cucumber leaf today. Rrrrrgghhhh!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
Squashed my first Mexican bean beetle on a cucumber leaf today. Rrrrrgghhhh!  

We had a large non-indigenous Lizard in our garden in Norcross, he must have eaten well as he was almost a foot long.  He only stayed with us for a year or three, but while he was in our small garden there were NO beetle problems.

I like some of the row-covers they have now.. If I was growing a larger garden, I would have row-covers on the whole lot...

I wish I could pull up some of the pictures from our 350sq/ft. garden off of Singleton in Norcross, it was a winner.  and a producer.

One day I'll scan some of those pictures into digital..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 04:50:32 AM »
we have rabbits eating flowers down to the ground... any thoughts?  I remember growing up we used to dust the ground with dried blood... think that was a rabbit counter-measure?