Author Topic: General gardening thoughts  (Read 67019 times)

Offline totm

Re: General gardening thoughts
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:41:52 AM »
Put in the ground yesterday from Cross Country Nurseries (thanks for the hook-up geo, where ever you are):
Chile plants
Aji Colorado
Australian Lantern Red
Goat's Weed
Jaloro
Peter Red
Tinidad Scorpion
Tomatoes
Black Pineapple
Chucks' Yellow Beefsteak
Oaxacan Jewel
Omar's Lebanese
Purple Calabash
Watermelon Beefsteak

Bought some of their organic fertilizer this time as well.  Gonna try my best to go all organic this year.  The only way I'll break out the chemicals is if the 'maters don't bud out.

Also have two pots of transplanted arugula from BHFM.  No, they are not selling plants for planting but they sell the arugula with roots still attached.  Worth a shot to see if it takes and then we'll only take of leaves as we need them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:46:23 AM by Dinosaur totm »
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »
Does anyone know of a place to buy SunGold plants locally?  I know that I bought them several years in a row some 7-8 years ago, but haven't seen them again since.  Thanks!

Check out some of the farmers markets around town.  I know Peachtree Road Market has plants available - just not sure what kind (haven't been there yet).  Check the websites and email the market managers, they can probably direct you to the folks who are selling plants and if you get lucky you might find your Sun Gold.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »
Does anyone know of a place to buy SunGold plants locally?  I know that I bought them several years in a row some 7-8 years ago, but haven't seen them again since.  Thanks!

Check out some of the farmers markets around town.  I know Peachtree Road Market has plants available - just not sure what kind (haven't been there yet).  Check the websites and email the market managers, they can probably direct you to the folks who are selling plants and if you get lucky you might find your Sun Gold.

Thanks - I ordered some from the Tasteful Garden - I think that maybe you were the one who recommended them.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
Thanks - I ordered some from the Tasteful Garden - I think that maybe you were the one who recommended them.

Oh OK cool.  Yep, I've got my order from Tasteful Garden coming in next Tuesday. 

Offline totm

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
Out of curiosity why do you order from Tasteful Garden rather than say Cross Country Nurseries?  CCN has tremendous variety.  My plants were shipped from NJ last Monday afternoon and arrived to my house Tuesday afternoon.  The plants/containers seem to be a little larger from TG.  But the per plant price at TG is considerably more and the shipping is marginally less for the minimum 12 plants that CCN requires.  I guess the one plus Tasteful Garden has is that you don't have that 12 plant minimum.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
I'd rather support a somewhat local nursery rather than order from one several hundred miles away, and I've never had any problems finding a variety of plants that suit my needs and wants at Tasteful Garden.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 03:30:35 PM »
Never bought plants by mail, except fruit and berry, (only seeds from Italy) so can't compare cost,
but http://www.morningsidemarket.com/ always has veg plants for sale early in season. sungold last weekend.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
WTF, i ordered seeds from Park Seeds, they shipped last thursday and i still don't have them.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 03:57:07 PM »
I would love to visit other peoples vegetable garden to see what your doing, maybe pickup some ideas.
Anyone else interested?

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »
WTF, i ordered seeds from Park Seeds, they shipped last thursday and i still don't have them.

A watched Park slows arrival...    :D  It has something to do with the LHC ?
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
i can't imagine what is taking so long!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »
Is there a local place that has a good assortment of seeds? I thikn my Park Seed order is lost, and i need to start my cantaloupe and cuke seeds as well as my zucchini. I want to use disease resistant hybrids, which many times are bred by each company....any place in ATL sell a whole bunch of types?
Hastings? Pikes?

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
If you are looking for disease resistant hybrids, you may just want to check Home Depot or Lowe's. Hastings used to have a ton of seeds but they have really cut back the past few years. And a lot of their stuff is not hybrid.

How do you grow zucchini without it being destroyed by squash vine borers? I have tried everything and asked everyone I can, to no avail. Tried aluminum foil around the bases, diatomaceous (sp?) earth, cutting them out ,and growing in containers. Nothing works and it is super disappointing.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »
thanks Liz. I'll look again, all they had for squash was black beauty zucchini at HD.
Last year one of my squash broke in a storm, the other got some disease...so i haven't had to deal with vine borers:)

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »
Master Gardener friend says that if you call the County Extension agent they will be able to tell you the week when squash vine borers are laying larvae.  If you wait to plant squash, cukes, etc. until after that week, supposedly all will be well.  I'm waiting on someone else to try it this year.

In other news, I have fruit on my Early Girl tomato, planted a month ago in a very protected place.