Author Topic: General gardening thoughts  (Read 70668 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: General gardening thoughts
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
Anyone else grow in containers?
I use Earthboxes, they truely are amazing.
I set up a little timer based watering system, so i never have to water, and the plants always have the correct amount of fertilizer and water.

Last year i grew zucchini (didn't get much, the plants broke during one of the storms), peppers, pickles (killed by some disease/fungus!), tomatoes, melon and watermelon. The melon was the most amazing melon we ever ate. Too bad it was such a pain to train up a net trellis!

This year i think i'm going to do lettuce, tomatoes, eggplant, cukes, and chile peppers. I'm going to try some herbs in the boxes too.

http://www.earthbox.com/index.php
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:18:47 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »
We have four raised beds but the Earthboxes look interesting.

Hot peppers are the one thing that is really reliable. Tons and tons every year. In fact, I just consolidated our frozen hot pepper stash yesterday.

Cherry tomatoes are easy too, I just don't like them nearly as much as full-sized ones. Too much skin-to-flesh ratio. But I always plant at least one anyway, just to be sure we get some sort of tomato flavor. I'll look into the calcium spray, thanks.

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 08:49:36 AM »
Anyone else grow in containers?
I use Earthboxes, they truely are amazing.
I set up a little timer based watering system, so i never have to water, and the plants always have the correct amount of fertilizer and water.

Now that is my kind of gardening!

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 09:59:39 AM »
We have four raised beds but the Earthboxes look interesting.

Hot peppers are the one thing that is really reliable. Tons and tons every year. In fact, I just consolidated our frozen hot pepper stash yesterday.

Cherry tomatoes are easy too, I just don't like them nearly as much as full-sized ones. Too much skin-to-flesh ratio. But I always plant at least one anyway, just to be sure we get some sort of tomato flavor. I'll look into the calcium spray, thanks.

I take it you haven't tried a Sun Gold, huh?!  It tastes more like a tomato than most of the large red ones, even home grown.

Calcium spray is for blossom end rot.  It's just another thing to have on hand for tomatoes.  I've only had trouble with it one year but it can be rather disappointing if it creeps up.  Simply a calcium deficiency and has something to do with large moisture fluctuations in the soil.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
<<< big edit >>>
Oh, and the "tomato" cages that they sell at Home Depot are a joke.  They do well supporting eggplant or larger pepper plants but you'll need a very large (6, 7+ feet tall) or a sturdy trellis system for GA grown tomatoes.

I am going to take some pictures of the rebar tomato cages that I built 5 or 6 years ago...   Yes it does involve gloves and a BIG set of wire cutters along with some rebar clips, or some good wire to tie them together, but they are just the best.

You have to buy some rebar (comes in rolls from Home Depot or elsewhere). You hqve to unroll a long section of it, depending on how many 6 foot high cages you want, and then re-roll it the way it wasn't rolled before.  It is a two person task at most, but you will end up with terrific large tomato or squash cages, that birds love unless you cover them, that last a long, long time and that you can reach through easily and prune or pick your crop...   Pictures later today..  I hunted for some of the ones I took but they are on a backup hard drive and not easily accessible.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
I've used homemade cages made from the concrete reinforcing wire over the past 3 years but never was really happy with it.  The vines still grow out over the top, set some fruit (weight), flop over and crease.  Granted, my cages are only 5 feet tall not 6, but a wire system that will allow me to create a canopy is what I'm after this year.  It might work or it might not, but it's worth a try I suppose!

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »
I saved some seeds from my Cherokee Purple tomatoes that we enjoyed last summer and I am going to try my luck growing some this year. Don't really expect them to do that well as we have limited sunlight. Lowe's had this little plastic pan with clear top that holds about a dozen of those soil pellets that expand in water. Will start them in that, it looked like a nice way to do them.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »
Here are my seedlings that I started from seed a few weeks ago. I plan of culling each of them to only 1 plant each this weekend. They seem very happy.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
Nice looking seedlings AB! Our San Marzano, cour di bue, and druzbas are almost ready to put out.

Frisee and lettuces doing well, tho growing slow. Kentucky Wonder pole beans are about four inches high. Planted the okra too soon in a fit of eagerness. I'm hoping it will come up once the nights get to 55.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

PLANT SALE:
Also, Gardenhood just got in their tomato plants.

Date:   
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Time:   
10:00am - 2:00pm
Description
April 10th is the last frost date of spring in Atlanta for 2010! Come celebrate with our lucious organically grown heirloom tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, lettuces, Asian veggies, annual flowers, succulents, hanging baskets, perennials, and a few shrubs.

All are grown by the loving hands of our gardeners who live with a diagnoses of a mental illness. Proceeds support the Friendship Center, a place of wellness, love and hope

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:38 AM »

I take it you haven't tried a Sun Gold, huh?!  It tastes more like a tomato than most of the large red ones, even home grown.

Does anyone know of a place to buy SunGold plants locally?  I know that I bought them several years in a row some 7-8 years ago, but haven't seen them again since.  Thanks!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 07:28:08 PM »
Sorry - don't know where to find Sun Golds.

Most of the lettuce has died for some reason, but the frisee is doing well.

Okra came up and needs to be weeded like crazy.

At least one Druzba tomato plant has rotted at the stem at soil level (?).

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 07:50:26 AM »

Cut worms?

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »

Cut worms?

You can put some copper ribbon around the base of the plant.  You may also be over-watering.

How deep did you plant the plant?

Can you trim it and re-root it?  I know it's just one plant but it could be a good experiment.

As you can tell, I love Gardenhood -- they are a wonderful source of information.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
Planted 3 of my 5 earthboxes this weekend with the following:
1 Patio tomato
1 Bush Goliath
1 Husky Red
1 Amelia
2 basil plants
1 black beauty zucchini plant

I'm waiting for my cantaloupe seed from Park Seed as well as a pattypan squash and cucumber that are both resistant to diseases (last year my cantaloupe and cukes were destroyed by something)