Author Topic: Yet another "Fish Fraud" story ... this time in Wired  (Read 5158 times)

Loundry

Re: Yet another "Fish Fraud" story ... this time in Wired
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
I think you need to be more specific.
Taste/texture differences between snapper, mackarel, salmon, halibut, escolar are all examples of extreme differences.
Do some white fish taste the same? Yeah, probably, but don't generalize and say all fish taste the same.

I had addressed this in my earlier edit but I thought it sounded too mean so I deleted it.  Since you bring it up, I'll try to reconstruct it as best as my memory can permit:

"Here is where someone pipes up and says, 'You can't tell the difference between mackerel and salmon?  You suck!'  Of course I'm not talking about the difference between mackerel and salmon.  There are hundreds of species of fish that could possibly be in a purveyor's box as opposed to less than a dozen land animals.  I'm talking about those fish that are similar in texture, color, and flavor, and especially those that, when cooked, become 'white, flaky, and mild-flavored', which is where the lion's share of fish fraud lives."

I don't think the flavor difference between halibut and salmon is extreme.  For that matter, I don't think the flavor difference between lamb and beef is extreme.  An example between an extreme flavor difference would be the difference between passion fruit and cumin, for instance.

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
Re: Yet another "Fish Fraud" story ... this time in Wired
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »
You're not arguing with me.  You're arguing with teams of scientists who felt it necessary to conduct DNA tests to distinguish one fish from another.  You should write them and explain to them that their effort was wasted.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

I never claimed or implied the scientists' efforts were wasted. You must really enjoy putting words in people's mouths. I just happen to disagree that there is no flavor difference between types of fish. Additionally, there are some people who can taste the difference and I'm one of them. I don't appreciate being told my ability to tell fish apart is bunk because some scientists somewhere did a DNA test which showed a few instances of fish fraud.

BTW, I am a scientist who has conducted DNA tests and am also a healthcare professional. You're not arguing with an ignorant person here. Just because a scientist said so does not make it so. Have you ever conducted any official experiments? Do you even understand how a DNA test is performed, what's involved, interpretations, biases, statistical analysis, ability to reproduce results, data manipulation to fit a hypothesis, etc..

There's a lot more involved in just doing a DNA test and saying voila.