Author Topic: Patak's  (Read 13781 times)

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Re: Patak's
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
We hit Patak's today during lunch hour, maybe a mistake since the wait was half an hour, but we came away with the usual treasure trove of bacon, corned beef and bratwurst. We also got a couple of curry wurst, new to us so we'll report on those in due time. They were out of Hungarian salami  :'( so we took a German version instead, a whole stick which looks delicious hanging from the kitchen curtain rod where (we hope) the cats won't get at it.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »
I know our beloved Dan is most associated from a foodie standpoint with Fox Bros. I’ve been a +1 since their Smith’s Olde Bar days.

But the more I’ve had of Patak’s, the more I realize how right he was about them. Just about everything is great. Harry’s pretty much doubles the prices, but since all three of my kids love their products, I guess we will have to start making the pilgrimage.

Among our faves: German bologna, bratwurst, knackwurst, shoot basically all of their salamis. Even the smoked liverwurst tastes a gazillion times better than anything with “liver” in the name should taste like.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »
I know our beloved Dan is most associated from a foodie standpoint with Fox Bros. I’ve been a +1 since their Smith’s Olde Bar days.

But the more I’ve had of Patak’s, the more I realize how right he was about them. Just about everything is great. Harry’s pretty much doubles the prices, but since all three of my kids love their products, I guess we will have to start making the pilgrimage.

Among our faves: German bologna, bratwurst, knackwurst, shoot basically all of their salamis. Even the smoked liverwurst tastes a gazillion times better than anything with “liver” in the name should taste like.

Even if one sticks with ordinary sandwich meats, Patak's price and quality can't be beat.  We've stopped buying Boar's Head at Pubix because Patak's products are much better tasting and at much lower prices.  How do they do it?

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »

Agree 100 percent with both recent comments.

uOTP - have you tried the smoked pork chops? Amazing. Heat gently in a shallow water bath and they are tender and delicious.

I also think that the products are significantly better directly from Patak than when they have been sitting at YDFM.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
i like everything except the salamis which are more eastern european than my preference and are generally very fatty and greasy feeling.
The liverwurst is great stuff

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
+1 for the smoked pork chops

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
Also be sure to try the bacon and the corned beef.

Unfortunately, we have nothing like Patak's here in Eugene. There are some artisan producers, but they're way more expensive. In fact, I've cut way back on my meat consumption since we moved here, because food prices in general have gone up, but meat seems pretty pricey. It's probably for the best, in terms of our health, but I sure do miss going to Patak and filling up a bag of goodies for less than $20.
Food is my favorite.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
Made a mid-week trek out there yesterday - unbelieveable - 10 lbs of meat - 5 smoked pork chops, 2 kinds of sausages, 3 lb bacon, wieners and beef dogs for $30.  That'll keep us going for a couple of months.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
Made a Patak run today to supply us and our visiting relatives with enough bacon for a few months. No wait at around 12 noon. I was in withdrawal without the bacon for at least two weeks.  We usually get a whole approx. 7 lb slab and then have them cut us about two pounds into slices and take the rest home whole to freeze. I swear I have been thinking of how to hook up Kenji A-L of Serious Eats with this bacon. I think it is heads and shoulders above the bacon that SE recommends. I may just email him.

Offline Northside Chip

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:14 AM »
I still just wish they would cut the MSG out of everything they make (at least that was the case per the GM a year or so ago).

NC

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
That is interesting about the msg. It doesn't bother me at all - are you allergic? If so, it seems very difficult to avoid any contact with it.

Offline Northside Chip

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »
I am allergic and with the wife having celiacs, it can be a challenge at times finding dinner! :P

NC

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
Making a run today. Anyone know of anywhere decent to eat around Patak?