Author Topic: Southern Version of Grilled Cheese?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Southern Version of Grilled Cheese?
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
I was discussing the provocative topic of grilled cheese with my angelic spawn. I swear years ago on the stepmothership a few southerners spoke about a southern version that involved Tabasco and pickles.

*Ping* Michael Newman, are you still out there?

I seem to remember the sammich even had its own name. Now if anyone knows what the hell I am talking about?

1.   Did I get the ingredients right?
2.   Is there a specific cheese required to make it authentic? I am all about authenticity.
3.   Does one put the pickles and Tabasco before or after cooking?
4.   What was the name of the sammich?
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline Northside Chip

Re: Southern Version of Grilled Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:35:31 AM »
I was discussing the provocative topic of grilled cheese with my angelic spawn. I swear years ago on the stepmothership a few southerners spoke about a southern version that involved Tabasco and pickles.

*Ping* Michael Newman, are you still out there?

I seem to remember the sammich even had its own name. Now if anyone knows what the hell I am talking about?

1.   Did I get the ingredients right?
2.   Is there a specific cheese required to make it authentic? I am all about authenticity.
3.   Does one put the pickles and Tabasco before or after cooking?
4.   What was the name of the sammich?

Add garlic and pimentos and it would be my grilled pimento cheese sammich!

NC

Offline dewdropper

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »
I have warm memories of cooking up grilled cheese in an iron skillet with lots of butter and sourdough bread and Tillamook cheddar.  Ah, the years of living in the wilderness!

Offline MadBob

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:27:13 AM »
Check out Eric Greenspan....

http://www.mandatory.com/2012/11/09/secrets-to-making-the-best-grilled-cheese-ever/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl30%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D233053

Might not be garlic and pimento, but this is interesting (even with the beef)!
"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress"
Ronald Reagan

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:33:30 AM »
I have warm memories of cooking up grilled cheese in an iron skillet with lots of butter and sourdough bread and Tillamook cheddar.  Ah, the years of living in the wilderness!

Tillamook cheddar is certainly delicious, but it comes from up here in the PNW, in Oregon. I doubt that it's traditionally Southern, and neither is sourdough, although cooking in an iron skillet is traditional.

As far as "authenticity," I don't know of any good cheddar cheeses from Georgia, but a nice sharp cheddar that could be used in an old recipe may have come from Vermont. Other than that, I'd go the Paula Deen route and use Velveeta, which many, many Southern cooks used for their Pimento Cheese, or "Menna Cheese." Tabasco, pickles, pimiento peppers and mayonnaise were added to make up for the flavor that Velveeta lacks.

Other than a grilled pimento cheese sandwich, as I've described above, I'm unaware of any distinctly Southern-style grilled cheese. So go grab yourself a tub of the stuff at the store, or get a log of Velveeta and mix yourself up a vat of Paula Deen happiness!

This isn't Paula's personal recipe, because she's kind of cleaned up her act lately, but it's close - http://www.southernplate.com/2009/10/grandma-lucys-pimento-cheese-its-a-southern-thang.html Bon Appetit!
Food is my favorite.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
Agree that it's gotta be a grilled pimiento cheese of some sort, preferably with some sort of pork product added. Victory Sandwich (Decatur) does just such an animal and I am a fan, though if I had my druthers I might use different bread.