Author Topic: Pizza In Conveyor Belt Oven?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Pizza In Conveyor Belt Oven?
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
Is there something intrinsically wrong if a kick ass pizza place uses a conveyor belt oven...or it is a "real" oven that's just dummy proof...or something else?
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline jimmy

• Email
Re: Pizza In Conveyor Belt Oven?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
I can't put my finger on exactly why, but yes, I am prejudice towards them.

Offline totm

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:21:41 AM »
Pizza on a conveyor belt doesn't bother me.  Sushi on a conveyor belt is just .... WRONG.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
Because I'm a "what's eating" guy and not much of a "what's cookin'" my main question is if it does make a difference in the cooking process. If it is merely a dummy proof oven, I have no problems with it.

I realize most pizza places are not exactly hiring CIA grads, so I'm all for improving the margin of error.
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
Because I'm a "what's eating" guy and not much of a "what's cookin'" my main question is if it does make a difference in the cooking process. If it is merely a dummy proof oven, I have no problems with it.

I realize most pizza places are not exactly hiring CIA grads, so I'm all for improving the margin of error.

There are Italian made pizza ovens that have a rotating floor, so that you can put the pizzas in at the front of the oven and it gets rotated around fairly slowly until it gets back to the front of the oven where (if it is done) you can remove it and serve it.  Domenica in New Orleans has one of those ovens.   I would guess it is to help speed up the process or to allow a fairly untrained person to put pizzas in and take them out without the years of experience that an old-school pizza maker would have.  I am guessing that the conveyor belt is there for the same reason. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline RootsInAlpharetta

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Is there something intrinsically wrong if a kick ass pizza place uses a conveyor belt oven...or it is a "real" oven that's just dummy proof...or something else?

I used to think the same thing about indoor barbecue smokers before guys like GCBBQ started making some kickass Q on them. Go figure.

I've been surprised with the pizzas at Uncle Maddio's and their conveyor belt pies. Had diminished expectations going in. Certainly not as good as the NY-style pizza we have here in the northern burbs, but still decent nonetheless.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »

I used to think the same thing about indoor barbecue smokers before guys like GCBBQ started making some kickass Q on them. Go figure.

I've been surprised with the pizzas at Uncle Maddio's and their conveyor belt pies. Had diminished expectations going in. Certainly not as good as the NY-style pizza we have here in the northern burbs, but still decent nonetheless.

I know Mike is the Big Green Egg expert and I believe he has met the Happy Belly folks and can prolly clarify. But I kind of wondered how HB did a Green Egg I'd assume inside their truck.

I do know the food is great however they do it.

FWIW, the place I had in mind is near my parents. It has gotten its share of "Bet of Philly/South Jersey" awards and I agree. Even their prepared toppings are made with such precision. But the conveyor belt oven caught me off guard. However, I did see it was made by whatever that company use Something Cooks or whatever, that I believe is considered among the standards for making NY style.

Offline anthea1

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
This all is fine but I am unable to understand anything special. Yes I perceive what you all are talking about.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 03:35:42 PM »
Pizza on a conveyor belt doesn't bother me.  Sushi on a conveyor belt is just .... WRONG.
Well I like Bucks Pizza. They are fast and I like my crust done well. Plus, I like my pie with jerk chicken on it and they do a fine job ot getting it done! But otherwise, no Domino's style for me.
I don't know why I didn't think of this back in January, but conveyor belt sushi is ok with me. Never have had it stateside but during my visits (plural) to Japan, I always liked a couple places that had that system in place. Only problem I really had was paying up after pigging out. The plates on the conveyor were different colors, each color would indicate a different price depending what was on the plate. Bring your empty plates and break out your Yen! Plus the beer!!!!!  Yikes... Sure was fun though and top notch sushi to boot!  First time took me by surprise though. Never a problem with stuff going round and round because it just wouldn't.   Just my 2 cents.
"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress"
Ronald Reagan

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.