Author Topic: General gardening thoughts  (Read 42492 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: General gardening thoughts
« Reply #315 on: June 17, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
yup...sometime they get quite big before dying...i guess it depends on the variety

Offline totm

« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
correction... arent getting fertilized
correction ... aren't getting pollinated  8-)
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »
correction... arent getting fertilized
correction ... aren't getting pollinated  8-)

So persnickety

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
Today's gifts from our garden. Cucumbers and squash are still not doing to good and we have a bunch of green tomatoes that should give us another bounty of them, I may fry up some green tomatoes in the mean time.

Offline robertl

« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
Well, crap, I may get persnickety also.  The plants could be getting "pollinated" which is the transfer of pollen from the anther of one flower to the stigma of another.  Sometimes, even though a flower may be pollinated, it may not complete the process of "fertilization" which is the union of the sperm and egg which forms the zygote cell.  Or something like that.  So, I think Jmolinari was correct in his post.

Not that anybody really cares.....

I sure wish my tomatoes would take off.

Robert

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
Got a pretty good harvest from the gardens this morning. I am not sure what to do with all this, maybe a stir-fry or even a vegetable stew. We are getting to the end of our season because it is getting too hot, especially at night for anything but okra and eggplant to thrive.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
We are having a problem with squirrels in our gardens. They have eaten all the small green tomatoes, lettuce and sprouting radishes, etc. I tented bird netting over the gardens but they crawled under them. Anyone know of something that will keep the little pests out or something natural I could sprinkle over the beds that they don't like. Someone told me blood meal worked against rabbits but so far I haven't tried that.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2012, 04:12:01 PM »
We are having a problem with squirrels in our gardens. They have eaten all the small green tomatoes, lettuce and sprouting radishes, etc. I tented bird netting over the gardens but they crawled under them. Anyone know of something that will keep the little pests out or something natural I could sprinkle over the beds that they don't like. Someone told me blood meal worked against rabbits but so far I haven't tried that.

SHOTGUN...................

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Corky

« Reply #323 on: November 11, 2012, 06:52:12 PM »
I take my onion and garlic peels and save in a container in the refrigerator, when full I add cayenne and chili powder and fill with water and let sit for 3 months. Afterwards, I put the liquid in a spray bottle and spray around the plants. Although I container garden, I have plenty of squirrels in my yard and they don't touch any of the plants. Don't know if it is the solution or the numerous acorns. They may not be interested in the produce after feasting on acorns.
I agree with GG, pellet guns and SHOTGUNS are very effective. Ready for some Brunswick Stew?
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline totm

« Reply #324 on: November 12, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »
I take my onion and garlic peels and save in a container in the refrigerator, when full I add cayenne and chili powder and fill with water and let sit for 3 months. Afterwards, I put the liquid in a spray bottle and spray around the plants. Although I container garden, I have plenty of squirrels in my yard and they don't touch any of the plants. Don't know if it is the solution or the numerous acorns. They may not be interested in the produce after feasting on acorns.
I agree with GG, pellet guns and SHOTGUNS are very effective. Ready for some Brunswick Stew?
It either must be that there is enough other food for the varmints or that you let the mixture ferment.  I started spraying that concoction (in addition to coffee grounds, dog hair, human hair) on my costco tomato plant this year.  Now I didn't let it sit for 3 months but there were times where the jug would sit for several weeks before I would refill my spayer.  Didn't faze the squirrels and chipmunks one bit.   But V hated when I made the stuff and it was pretty rough to get a whiff of it while spraying the plant.

It is nice to actually still have home grown tomatoes though.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »
I finally made a electrical 1/2 conduit, bent to fit and attached chicken wire with plastic ties.
Had to add lock to keep humans out. Life is strange but interesting!

Offline totm

« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
I finally made a electrical 1/2 conduit, bent to fit and attached chicken wire with plastic ties.
Had to add lock to keep humans out. Life is strange but interesting!
You made your own mini electric fence around your tomato plants?  Sweet!  I'm sure the homeowner's association would love that in my front bed.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #327 on: November 13, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
Over the past several years I've killed a total of 323 squirrels ...and counting. I've NEVER had a problem with squirrels. :-)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
Over the past several years I've killed a total of 323 squirrels ...and counting. I've NEVER had a problem with squirrels. :-)

Seriously, what do you use?  I have a couple of nifty long guns that have scopes on them but they are mostly for elk or deer or big-horn sheep.  I do have a trusty 22 with a really nice scope that I almost never fire, I'm betting that would be the ticket. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #329 on: November 14, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
WOW! 323 squirrels, thats a lot.

I don't own a gun and it is illegal to fire one in the city anyway so I got some squirrel repellant stuff from ebay that I am going to try. It is supposed to keep them out of gardens and flower pots. I will let you know if it works.