Author Topic: ProQ Cold Smoke Generator - Pure genius.  (Read 38434 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: ProQ Cold Smoke Generator - Pure genius.
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2011, 09:10:18 AM »
cool. did you buy them locally?
Next time we meet, can i buy some off you? I'd like to build up a variety, but 20lbs is way too much

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »
I will give you as much as you need Jason, 20 lbs. is way too much but that was their minimum order with $2.00 postage and it arrived in about 2 days from Traeger in Oregon. Really good service.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:41:05 PM by AndyBoy »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
they mailed you 20lbs of pellets for $2 from oregon?! wow

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »
First day playing with ours. We are having trouble getting it to stay lit and now even to light. DH thought it might be the cold, so he brought it in and put it on our stove (!!!) and is still trying. He refuses to put the food on a plate to prevent drips, but insists that the foil sheet he has put directly above the smoker mechanism is protecting it from drips. Thoughts?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
the foil will work
GG reports that he had better luck after dring the sawdust out for an hour in the oven at about 180.
I guess it depends where you store it.

what wood?

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »
The stuff it came with, but he finally got it going and we have some deliciously smoked salmon (had to sample just a taste before the mellowing!), and cloves of garlic. The salmon is pretty incredible, but the best thing so far were the strip steaks that got about 1-2 hours of smoking total. Nothing fancy, just a big chunk of meat that DH found at Caroline St Kroger for $3.99 a pound and divided up into steaks.They were dry brined with 1/2 tsp salt per pound for 24 hours first. Man, those things were delicious. Kind of like they were cooked on charcoal, but better. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:26:53 PM by LizR »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »
never thought of pre-smoking beef for an hour or 2. Great idea...i have some nice NY strips from costco i'll have to try.
especially cause i sous vide them...so the extra flavor will be welcome.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »
YMMV - I'd love to hear what your results are. Not sure how he thought of that idea, but it worked for us.

And so, the short answer re the best place to get more sawdust is....?? I read the threads but maybe all of you guys with experience can make a suggestion? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:26:47 PM by LizR »

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »
YMMV - I'd love to hear what your results are. Not sure how he thought of that idea, but it worked for us.

And so, the short answer re the best place to get more sawdust is....?? I read the threads but maybe all of you guys with experience can make a suggestion? Thanks.

GG>-  ONLY USE THE MIXED HARDWOOD SAWDUST, it is the correct grain/chip size for the ProQ smoker.  I am ALWAYS pre-drying each load of sawdust I put in the smoke generator, it works like a charm, the last full load went for 9+ hours..

http://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/act/product.view/category_id/20/av/r/product_id/1572

btw. I am talking to the folks at PS seasoning to see if they can supply the other wood flavors in the proper chip size for all of us to use.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:43:28 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2011, 01:26:20 AM »
One of the best cuts of meat I've had in a while was smoked prime rib...

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »
One of the best cuts of meat I've had in a while was smoked prime rib...

likely hot smoked though, like in a BGE, right>?

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
In this case, probably. Don't think they had a cold smoker in Nebraska.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
The stuff it came with, but he finally got it going and we have some deliciously smoked salmon (had to sample just a taste before the mellowing!), and cloves of garlic. The salmon is pretty incredible, but the best thing so far were the strip steaks that got about 1-2 hours of smoking total. Nothing fancy, just a big chunk of meat that DH found at Caroline St Kroger for $3.99 a pound and divided up into steaks.They were dry brined with 1/2 tsp salt per pound for 24 hours first. Man, those things were delicious. Kind of like they were cooked on charcoal, but better. Highly recommended.

I have to thank you for this idea! Yesterday i smoked a ribeye from costco (on sale for 4.99!!) for 2 hours or so, salted, and put in fridge overnight. Tonight seared in a pan, and finished in hot oven.
WOOOOOOOWWW!
It had a very strong smoke flavor, as though it had been cooked on a wood grill. Kind of reminded me of bacon! Really delicious. I wouldn't do it every time, as it was quite strong (and wife said she preferred no smoke), but definitely every once in a while. Might also add some stuff to the sawdust (crushed juniper or rosemary...)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
Try one hour of smoking and see if your wife likes it. I didn't care for the longer smoke, but the shorter one just made it taste like it was cooked on charcoal, and you can do a bunch at a time and save them for later.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 06:18:07 AM »
yup..will lower it to 1 hr. next time...i'm surprised it picked up as much as it did in 2hrs... i thought it was delicious, and so did the daughter.