Click here for Restaurant.com  -  $25 Restaurant.com Gift Cards for $15.

Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 132944 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #1575 on: February 07, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

Tonight the chile comes out of the fridge to eat along with some jalapeno cornbread. 

This stew is Very good and pretty spicy.  We have many more servings of it left over.  Of course you could use Anaheim chiles, or Nu-Mex, or some other chile to make up 14-15oz of roasted and peeled chiles for this double recipe.  I guess you could use canned chiles but I'm not suggesting that. 

The cornbread has whole unseeded jalapenos and some sharp cheese mixed in, I used my own cured bacon and that fat for the shortening, the cornbread is silly good. 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:20:11 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #1576 on: February 09, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »
We are going to celebrate Chinese New Year tomorrow with a Chinese meal and have invited 3 of our friends to join us. I am cooking 4 dishes so I need to get an early start. Cooking is easy but the prep time will take half a day.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1577 on: February 09, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
We are going to celebrate Chinese New Year tomorrow with a Chinese meal and have invited 3 of our friends to join us. I am cooking 4 dishes so I need to get an early start. Cooking is easy but the prep time will take half a day.

We will need details with a picture or two...   Happy Chinese New Year to you...

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #1578 on: February 11, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
Dinner was good last night. General Tso's chicken, beef with cumin, Peng's home style bean curd and an cold dish of spinach with ginger sauce. I did all the prep ahead and knocked out all the 3 wok dishes in less than 15 minutes. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal and it was a fun evening. No photos, it was way to busy in the kitchen for that, darn!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1579 on: February 13, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »

LO Chile and Cornbread..    Honestly the LO chile is still killer.  I think it is a contest winner.  No beans of course.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:17:02 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #1580 on: February 26, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »
Been cooking a lot from Every Grain of Rice. i really like this book for simplicity and deliciousness. I made the pork and potato stew a couple days ago. I pressure cooked it, which was awesome because it was done in about 45 minutes. I did 30 minutes on the pork. Let the PC natural release (About 10 mins), added potatoes and carrots, high pressure 6 minutes and natural release (about 10 minutes).
Also added carrots for some vegetable component.

Served with partially milled brown rice.

Super delicious.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #1581 on: February 26, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
Just purchased EGOR - evidently their Amazon shipping issues are resolved. Can't wait to take a look at it!

Last night I made pork braised in beer from Les Halles. It was a bit of a pain because it had a mustard and breadcrumb crust that you added at the end and finished in a hot oven, but it is mighty tasty as leftovers.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1582 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »

Thursday plan:

Lamb racks, a starch, and a vegetable..    8)    < prep for Friday > 

Enjoy the riches of the LO refrigerator full of food.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #1583 on: February 28, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
cumin beef from EGOR....awesome!

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #1584 on: February 28, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
I served that dish on Chinese New Year Jason and you are right, it was awesome. I started with a ribeye steak and sliced it about 1/4 wide, it was so good.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #1585 on: March 01, 2013, 08:07:59 AM »
andy, i used top sirloin fillets, and jaccarded them for tenderness, and sliced, like you said, 1/4" thick. Delicious served with partially brown rice

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1586 on: March 01, 2013, 03:39:35 PM »

In process, those two lamb racks I defrosted look really good but too much food for us tonight so I might do one tonight and one Sunday. 

Did I ever tell you how much I hate Frenching lamb bones?    You will see the pictures, they are not in the least way perfect but I did 'em..

Marinade paste is on both racks and back in the fridge.   pictures and more to this story later..

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1587 on: March 02, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »

Here are the pics of that process and plate of lamb ribs cooked on Fri. 3/1/13

GG>- Did I say that I HATED Frenching lamb ribs?  Just checking....

These two racks were in a package of the lamb that I got from ShadyBrook Farms a few months ago.  They were nice though they required a bit of trimming to get them into lollypop configuration.  Did I say that I HATED Frenching lamb ribs?.  The process went well with no recipe nor script.  I blended up a paste that had thyme, rosemary, fennel tops, garlic, good olive oil, salt and pepper, oh, and a bit of lemon peel.

Two of them were an awesome plenty for dinner, there are several lollypops (double) saved.

Here it is with the goo on top of the ribs..

I would have put in a picture of the turned over pieces but I deemed the photographs unlookable. 

Good flavor, very tender, but lamb not veal.   Did I say that I HATED Frenching lamb ribs?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1588 on: March 03, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »

If you have it in the freezer use it or lose it.   I pushed the standard (not microwave) defrost cycle on this package of ground lamb from ShadyBrook farms.  I kept dividing it and letting it rest, until it was defrosted.  I would have liked to have had a full day to defrost any kind of meat. 

We are having some lamb burgers tonight, with an abundance of ingredient in the burger and LO vegetable side dishes to accompany the burger.  The bun seems like the right amount of starch (especially wheat starch) to fill the bill..   

I did add about 1/4 cup of Panko to this mix,  The resultant weight gave us four 5.4oz burgers.  They have a Left over, teeny amount of Parmigiano Reggiano in the mix so the weight/protein will be off.   There is also a whole tsp. of grated lemon zest on the mix.  No egg.. 

I used a new ingredient for me, it is 1 1/2 Tb. "The Radio Chef" Zippy rub to the meat as I built up the onions, garlic, good amount of black pepper, and this rub.   I have tasted it and will use it right along.  I also used some Orange Ginger Zing from Hot Squeeze, it was the reason I added the Panko actually as the mix was getting a bit loose.

On the grill (Weber Go-Anywhere Grill) for 3 minutes a side.

4 burgers resting on the cool side of the grill with the cover on for about 7 minutes.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:47:57 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1589 on: March 17, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »

Tonight is New England (or Irish) boiled dinner.  I cooked the brisket yesterday, I chopped the other veggies today, made two versions of Irish Soda Bread ("spotted dog" is what I really made), and shortly we will have dinner.  I know adding that one Habanero to the brisket would take it "off track" from what is a fairly ordinary boiled beef, cabbage and potato dinner so I souped it up a bit added some turnip, some carrot, a few small chunks of parsnip, and some of that spicy brisket juice back into my old, old cast iron Dutch Oven to simmer away.  I sliced the brisket (against the grain) and will let it re-heat when the veggies are just-right.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:45:01 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »