Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!  (Read 1468 times)

Offline FlyinBrian

Happy Thanksgiving!
« on: November 17, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »
We found turkeys on sale at Kroger or Publix for $.99/lb.  Since Uncle Tom has already requested that we make Alton Brown's City Ham, we opted to cook the turkey tonight.  We are trying out the Mad Max recipe on the BGE.

Offline dewdropper

• Email
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »
Just wanted to wish all of you a wonderful day.  Good news: the Buford Hwy Farmers Market is open today until 6pm.  It's also my father's 88th birthday, so he has requested salmon, squash casserole and carrots.  I'm doing that Julia Child poached in vermouth salmon, a (gasp, shock, horror) Paula Deen squash casserole recipe, and free-styling some glazed carrots. 

Bon Appetit,
Dewdropper

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Did everyone boycott Thanksgiving? No pictures or descriptions!?!? :)  We had an awesome Thanksgiving.  My sister got married the Friday after so we had an incredible number of family members who came in from out of town family.  As usual, we had our own fusion dinner. From left to right... Vietnamese Cha Gio, Turkey, Sticky Rice with Soy Beans, Crispy Skin Roast Pork, Roast Duck, Korean Short Ribs, Fried Shrimp Crackers, Vietnamese Stir Fry Noodles, Chips and Salsa, Mash Potatoes, Stuffing, Seafood Goi (Vietnamese Salad), Fried Shrimp, Fried Rice, Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad), and Cuban Bread. Not pictured was the kitchen island full of desserts and the stove with a big pot of Vietnamese Curry.  Needless to say, there was much eating and carnage that afternoon :)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
Good point LM! We should probably have a general Thanksgiving thread. There was one for last year, but no general one I can find.

Your spread looks delicious and more interesting than ours!!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all of this clan.   Reading some of the inane threads on FaceBook remind me how good searchable ( somewhat ) threads can be....   

I still take pleasure in having this board up and running for y'all, with FlyinBrian's help and a bit of help from others we will keep it going. 

Have a safe and sane day, let's do it again next year but better..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »
Turkey broth for either soup or something, underway..   It is amazing how much gelatin there is in a turkey carcass.   

I am only going to boil the bones for about 1 1/2 hours then pull them, pick them, and set the slivers of poultry aside as I reduce the broth to stock adding all of the flavorings I like to make it into a rich base for whatever.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:34:54 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
I'm about to start two pounds of great northern beans on their overnight soak, so I can throw them in the crockpot with some of the leftover smoked turkey and the kale that was in our CSA this morning. We had more smoked turkey, with some of the chile rubbed sweet potatoes cubed, lightly fried as a hash and topped with crispy fried eggs this morning.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14