Click here for Restaurant.com  -  $25 Restaurant.com Gift Cards for $15.

Author Topic: Homemade Christmas Gifts with Love From the Kitchen  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Larry_Williams

• Email
Homemade Christmas Gifts with Love From the Kitchen
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »
Williams Olde English Butter Toffee

2 Sticks REAL Unsalted Butter (no substitutes)
1 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
ΒΌ Cup Water
Dash Salt
4oz Whole Raw Almonds
5oz Almond Dust
1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
6oz Ghirardelli Semisweet Chocolate Pieces
6oz Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Pieces

Spray small cookie sheet with Crisco Butter Spray, lay a piece of parchment paper the exact size of the pan over the sprayed pan and push out the bubbles. Spray the paper with more butter spray.  (*** I have replaced this process now by using a Silpat). Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, water and salt into a heavy 3 quart sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat (#5 on my dial). Continue to boil down until your thermometer reads 280 degrees, then add the whole almonds. Continue stirring until candy thermometer reads 305 degrees. At 305 degrees, take off heat and stir in vanilla and immediately poor onto prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle chocolate over toffee while still hot so it starts to melt and spread with an icing spatula. Before the chocolate sets, dust the chocolate with Almond dust. Let cool completely then drop pan on counter to break into pieces. Turn pan over on a towel or foil and peal off the parchment. Let the bottom of the toffee dry completely before storing away in air tight packaging. Almond Dust: 2 oz raw almonds processed in a food processor.

Temperature is Critical in this recipe. Much over 305 degrees (F) it will be burnt, much under it will not setup. To ensure proper temperature, make sure to use a quality thermometer.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:30:31 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Homemade Christmas Gifts with Love From the Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:37 AM »
Thanks for the recipe. I have a relative that makes a variation of this every year.

Just made my first batch of spiced pecans yesterday.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
Liz I know the version you make, you gave me the recipe. I am planning on making a couple of batches this week for our neighbors on our street. It is so good.

Speaking of neighbors, we had a party last night and almost 40 people came. It was a big success and my Brunswick stew was a real hit, everyone loved it. The best part of the holidays are sharing you home and hospitality with friends.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »
Now if only my thermometer would not slip off the pot.  I wish there were a good solution to this problem.   ;)