Author Topic: Fuchsia Dunlop's "Every Grain of Rice"  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Fuchsia Dunlop's "Every Grain of Rice"
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
This is a fantastic chinese cookery book. Can't recommend it highly enough.

While i have Dunlop's other books and have cooked from them A LOT, this one seems more streamlined for weeknight dinners with dishes that don't require 8-10 marinade or sauce ingredients.

I've cooked a couple meals from it and everything has been awesome.

Last week it was chicken with black bean sauce <pg 116> and spinach with fermented tofu.<pg 170>  Both were delicious.

Last night it was pork tenderloin with chinese chives (not a recipe in the book, but i took the recipe for the chicken livers with chives and subbed pork tenderloin),<pg 126> stir fried cabbage with dry shrimp<pg 172> and bok choy with shiitake<pg 180>  (i used dry, rehydrated).

Everything was delicious. I really liked the baby bok choy. The flavors were clean and light. Wife thought it was kind of bland, but i liked it. The cabbage was also delicious, though wife and daughter didn't agree :) I thought it was funny that my purple cabbage turned my yellow/orange tiny dry shrimp green.

Last night's dinner, 3 dishes, took 45 minutes including prep, which is kind of amazing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:55:18 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Fuchsia Dunlop's "Every Grain of Rice"
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
I will have to check this one out Jason. I have her other 2 cookbooks and use them often, they are both really good. It would be nice to have a book that streamlines the process a bit when you are in a hurry. She is a solid cook and a very good writer.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
Ditto what AndyBoy said.  I can cook her Mapo Tofu from memory.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »
you guys would love this one.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
I just called the Barnes & Noble on Hilton Head Island and they had 1 copy and are holding it for me. Will go over today and pick it up, with Chinese New Year coming up this weekend maybe I will do a Chinese meal for some friends.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up Jason. Sounds great. It is "under review" at Amazon becaue of some problem but I'll probably get it when the issue is resolved. I can't see the contents online, re there a lot of sweet elements to most of the dishes? I'm trying to avoid that.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »
Not a lot of sweet, no. In fact, no sweet stuff at all in most dishes.

Wonder why it's under review. My copy seems fine (first copy arrived with the box soaked through with a liquid, but that's not Amazon's fault)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
Thanks, that is great to know. They did indicate that there might be something wrong with the way they are shipping it. Maybe "wet" is not the right way?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
weird...something obviously happened to mine. It was soaked through with a vinegarry smelling liquid...

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
I have noticed a couple of instances where the measurements seem wrong. I am cooking a buckwheat noodle dish for lunch and it called for 4 tablespoons of chili oil. I used 3 teaspoons and it seems plenty hot for me but maybe she is doing a larger batch of noodles. All in all it looks like a cookbook I will use again and again.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Wow, what a great book! I love how simple and easy everything is - once you have the basics in your pantry, which we already had most of, there are not even many ingredients to pick up. Last night we had the silken tofu with avocado <pg 42>`and we were oohing and ahhing. Why have I not thought of that before? Then we had the sichuanese spiced cucumber salad <pg 36>and the cumin beef <pg 106>. Fantastic.

Tonight is silken tofu with soy sauce (if I can refrain from adding avocado), <pg 42>, red-braised beef with tofu "bamboo", <pg 108> and stir fried romaine lettuce <pg 185> . The silken tofu dish has an interesting preparation where you basically flash fry scallions right on top of the tofu by pouring hot oil on them.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:02:49 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
So, I found a measurement error as well. For the red-braised beef, she calls for "1/2oz (25g)" of ginger. Half an ounce is 14 grams. I went with the larger amount but that is not a small error - neither was yours AB!

That is annoying. You'd think that they would have caught these and cleaned things up in the 7+ months between the debut in the UK and the US publication.

So, be aware and use common sense.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 08:26:13 AM »
Agree on the suckiness of measurement errors.
I would assume the gram measurement is correct since it was first an EU book..

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
I cooked little neck clams with fermented black beans last night from EGOR and it was a knock out dish <pg 146>. Talk about umami! We were sucking the sauce off the shells. This is going to be a dish I will cook often and highly recommended.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:04:20 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
that looks spectacular