Author Topic: Bread Making  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
Re: Bread Making
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
I never seem to be able to put away ABin5 or my Joy of Cooking. which is unfortunate, because I have suck limited counter space.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »
Welcome me to the world of "what took you so long?"  I made my first batch of dough from the 5 minutes a day recipe last night so today is loaf #1.  I need to buy myself some kind of container for this stuff as the big metal bowl is taking up a few to many square inches right now.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
I use the largest size of ziplock container for mine. It fits in there pretty well.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »
Welcome me to the world of "what took you so long?"  I made my first batch of dough from the 5 minutes a day recipe last night so today is loaf #1.  I need to buy myself some kind of container for this stuff as the big metal bowl is taking up a few to many square inches right now.

Get yourself some of these in various sizes.  The square shape makes for easier storage, in and out of the fridge.  And you'll probably find some other goodies that you want while you're there:

http://atlantafixture.com/Summary.aspx?CurrentCategory=11048

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »
Good idea, thanks!

Last time I was there I took my friend who bought a 30 quart aluminum pot.  I think he's used it twice. :)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »

Get yourself some of these in various sizes.  The square shape makes for easier storage, in and out of the fridge.  And you'll probably find some other goodies that you want while you're there:

http://atlantafixture.com/Summary.aspx?CurrentCategory=11048

You are so right about those Cambro containers.   They might not be the best, but they are better than anything I had  before I bought a bunch of them on sale at Atlanta Fixture.  They often go on sale..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »

I am making some Ezekiel bread in the near future, I have a mix being ground and delivered to me at Snellville Farmers market tomorrow.  Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for doing Ezekiel bread ?

There are many online, and I'm sure one of 'em will work, but I would rather make YOUR recipe than rely on some unknown person.

Offline mikeamor

• InterWeb
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
I am making some Ezekiel bread in the near future, I have a mix being ground and delivered to me at Snellville Farmers market tomorrow.  Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for doing Ezekiel bread ?
There are many online, and I'm sure one of 'em will work, but I would rather make YOUR recipe than rely on some unknown person.

Mike -  I bake a lot of whole grain bread but have not tried this one yet.  My go to spot for good bread baking information is www.thefreshloaf.com.  A lot of good and knowledgeable folk there offering sound advice... in case no one here can help.
 Having said that, I would NOT recommend baking it as proscribed three verses later in Ezekiel 4:12.

Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 06:50:36 AM »
Ditto on The Fresh Loaf site, lots of tutorials with pictures to walk you through new recipes (not that you need a lot of help GG!)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »

Mike -  I bake a lot of whole grain bread but have not tried this one yet.  My go to spot for good bread baking information is www.thefreshloaf.com.  A lot of good and knowledgeable folk there offering sound advice... in case no one here can help.
 Having said that, I would NOT recommend baking it as proscribed three verses later in Ezekiel 4:12.

The guy that was supposed to have my pre-ground Ezekiel mix did not have it, apologized profusely and promised it for next week..  We shall see....

Ezekiel 4:12 ------  I don't have to get THAT authentic with it.    ;)

King James Bible
And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.

Let someone else give that a try and tell me how it is please..   ;D

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
We were at a gathering last Friday and a friend's Brother-in-Law brought a loaf of whole wheat bread still warm from the oven. It was a delicious loaf. He is from Canada and swears by whole grains from there being far superior to our U.S. grains. He shared some starter with me and some of his wheat grains he brought down. I have a loaf going now that had a rise yesterday and then another last night in the fridge. His starter seems a little slow but maybe that is what gives the finished bread so much flavor. I will post a photo of the finished bread if this all works out.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
We were at a gathering last Friday and a friend's Brother-in-Law brought a loaf of whole wheat bread still warm from the oven. It was a delicious loaf. He is from Canada and swears by whole grains from there being far superior to our U.S. grains. He shared some starter with me and some of his wheat grains he brought down. I have a loaf going now that had a rise yesterday and then another last night in the fridge. His starter seems a little slow but maybe that is what gives the finished bread so much flavor. I will post a photo of the finished bread if this all works out.

Although I do like a robust starter/sourdough, some of the most interesting and tasty breads I have ever made came from those long slow-rise starters. 

I haven't made bread in a while as we have good close resources here and we sometimes don't need more bread in our diet, but it is always pleasing to me to work the old refrigerated or frozen starter back into shape, give them a couple of two or three day renewal/rebuilding days and then finally to make good bread out of those ancient starters that I keep.   

I would like to make sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel or Genesis one day, it is the bread we keep here for toast and is very delicious.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
This is a loaf just from the oven of half whole wheat flour and half white bread flour. it still has a rich, good flavor of the whole wheat flour and I get a better rise with the half and half mix. Also used wheat gluten to give it a little boost.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »
This is a loaf just from the oven of half whole wheat flour and half white bread flour. it still has a rich, good flavor of the whole wheat flour and I get a better rise with the half and half mix. Also used wheat gluten to give it a little boost.

Good looking loaf, I should start making bread again..

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
Just put these whole wheat/bread flour Parker House rolls in the oven. They are for supper and smell wonderful right now.