Author Topic: Wrecking Bar Opening  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
Wrecking Bar Opening
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
If all goes well, Wrecking Bar will open next weekend in L5Points.

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Wrecking Bar Opening
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:42:19 AM »
I snuck a quick peek at the blog - looks like they put a TON of effort into this. Hope they can make a go of it.

http://www.wreckingbarbrewpub.com/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:00:41 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
It's open and I think they're going to do really well.  Great brewer, simple but good menu. 

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
Had beers and dinner here tonight with a friend.  The space is really nice, I understand the upstairs/street level is a special events space and the main bar is downstairs.  They had five kinds of beer this evening, I think, I had the IPA and the stout.  Both were very good and I appreciated that I could get half-pints.  I also had a taste of the English ale and it was also good.  Food seems about on par for most quality pubs/taverns.  I had a salad that was several notches above ordinary, plus sprouted wheat bread that they get from Bread Garden.  My friend had the pulled pork, which he must have liked since he ate it all.  A wonderful addition to the L5P scene.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »
My wife and I ate dinner at Wrecking Bar last night.  It was full but not crowded for a Friday night, and we were seated immediately.

Getting right to the beers, we tried the Belgian-style dubbel, the English mild, the stout and the IPA.  The dubbel seemed to lack body and had no head whatsoever.  I'm no beer judge, but I have drunk many Belgian dubbels, and this did not impress me.  The English mild on the other hand was a great offering.  With so many brews these days seemingly trying to push the gravity and ingredient envelope, I thought the English mild was a refreshing offering in both senses of the word.  The stout and IPA were both winners, too.  The IPA reminded me of Sweetwater's.

I had the burger with grilled asparagus on the side, and my wife had the veggie sandwich.  The burger was cooked to order and came out a precise medium rare, but otherwise it seemed as plain a burger as could be.  A slice of tomato.  A leaf of lettuce (not iceberg, thankfully).  If the bun was sourced from some well-regarded local bakery--I have no idea--I failed to appreciate it.  I also failed to appreciate the beef, which the menu said is Brasstown.  Call me a philistine, but I prefer a Vortex burger.  My wife enjoyed the veggie sandwich but felt the hummus and black olives contributed to too many flavors in competition with the grilled/roasted vegetables.

We'll be back to try other items.  I like brewpubs in general.

Offline omnivorous

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »
They apparently just released their heffeweisen, which is my favorite sort of beer.  I think I'll hit it tonight!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
The Wrecking Bar
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »

I met Flyin Brian at the Wrecking Bar for a beer before the KoPP memorial dinner at Fox Bros.  Damn good beerz, neat vibe with the good-old-feeling of that granite walled space.  I saw some dinners being served that appeared very good.  The owners were at a table behind us, and the manager talked to us about the food and beer pairings on and off.  Good place, I'll be back.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
Went to the Wrecking Bar in Little Five Points yesterday for the Fried Chicken Livers and Fried Chicken special (since it was National Fried Chicken Day) but was informed that the email I received was in error. That special was last week. Dang.
So, we settled on the next best thing: a House made Hot Pastrami Sandwich (which was  slightly on the salty side), I ordered one and so did my Bride, it was  made with local baby collards kimchi, Korean chili-garlic mayo & baby swiss cheese on griddled marble rye. Also sampled the house fries and a side of Mac & Cheese. M&C was tasty but a little on the salty side also. Had a ramekin of house horseradish sauce that paired well with the pastrami sandwich.  Decent portion for the price.
Tried a small pour of Denamelizer IPA with my meal.  Centennial, Summit, Columbus, Falconer’s Flight, Zythos, Simcoe, and Amarillo hops were used everywhere from in the mash to being served through a “randall” full of hops.  Yet, unlike some big IPAs, the Denamelizer has enough malt complexity and body to at least attempt to balance the insane amount of hops used!  Awesome for an DIPA at OG 1.090, IBU 140 and ABV of 10.4%.
Had a Wrecking Bar for dessert, their home made version of a kit kat bar. So thick so rich and delicious!
Out the door for just over 30 bucks. Brought home a whole pastrami sanwich and 1/2 the wrecking bar to enjoy later.
Out the door for just over 30 bucks. Brought home a whole pastrami sandwich and 1/2 the wrecking bar dessert.
 A good experience otherwise with an extensive Whiskey List and several wines of the Red and White variety.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »
I hear that the Wrecking Bar is looking to open a Brewery "The Wrecking Barn" over in the Brushy Fork Road area!
If you attend those planning commision meeting things, go and support Bob Sandage at the Gwinnett Justice and Admin Center on Jan. 6,2015 @ 7:: PM!

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2014/dec/08/craft-beer-brewery-proposed-for-loganville-farm/
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.