• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »

<<<  Posted for Deanne -Code Poet >>>

Stacey Renee Crews Stallings  8/9/78 -- 11/15/2012

For my baby sister...

Stacey was the youngest of 3 daughters of Darlene Echols and Jimmy Crews.

As a child, Stacey played baseball and later softball, cheerleading and clogging.

She was fearless and always spoke her mind.

She loved animals and worked for the Lithonia Animal Hospital.

She was a sparkplug and brought energy and excitement to a room.

She was competitive and could throw a mean game of horseshoes.

She had an amazing ability to find 4 leaf clovers which she pressed and saved to bring her luck.

She was stubborn and loyal to her family and friends.

Ever since she was a child, she always wanted a daughter so she could name her Shelby. When Stacey and Scott had their daughter, there was no question that she would be a Shelby. She was so proud of her daughter telling anyone who would listen how smart and beautiful she is.

She had a smile that could light up a room and the darkest blue eyes that sparkled when she was happy.

Her youngest nephew thought she was the Snow Angel.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
Deanne & Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. If there is anything I can do, just yell!
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
Me too. So very sorry.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »

Motivational speaker Zig Ziglar died Wednesday morning at the age of 86

GG>- I have been to a couple of his seminars and have listened to his tapes throughout my early career.

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Pete Vavaroutsos, owner of Mama's Pizza in Alpharetta passed away the other day. I will always contend that he made the best NY pizza in Atlanta. I have been eating his pizza since he had a storefront on Hillside Ave in Jamaica, NY. I was still in high school and pizza and a coke was a quarter. He will be very much missed. He trained his son Jimmy in the business and he is carrying on the tradition.

RIP, Pete............
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline Minerva

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
In addition to being a great Old School pie maker, he was a really nice guy. Sorry to hear he's gone.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »

R.I.P.

Richie Havens...    We got there late in 69 and didn't see the first two or three bands, but we hung in there.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »

We have lost some monster good folks in the last while..   

R.I.P. Ryan Hidinger.  An icon in our food oriented lives here in Atlanta. 

See some of these things if you would like to go and be testimonial to his life.

http://thegivingkitchen.org/

http://www.staplehouse.com/

GG>-  I personally have never met him (that I can remember) but have eaten at Muss & Turners more than just a few times and loved the food they brought to the table. 

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:30 AM »

Shirley Temple Black, who as a dimpled, precocious and determined little girl in the 1930s sang and tap-danced her way to a height of Hollywood stardom and worldwide fame that no other child has reached, died on Monday night at her home in Woodside, Calif. She was 85

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »
Terry Hall, owner of Happy Belly food truck and probably the most influential person in the Atlanta food truck movement. I don’t want to pretend I knew him well, but in his early days at Harry’s events I got there early and did get to speak with him a few times. He was a genuinely nice guy.

I believe he was 40. A non-smoker, he died of lung cancer, I believe about eight months after being diagnosed. He’s been honored by the United Way for his charity work. Left behind a wife and two very young children, the youngest I think is one-year old. Nice guy and a definite pioneer in the grubber world.

RIP Terry Hall from one of your earliest fans. 
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »
Terry Hall, owner of Happy Belly food truck and probably the most influential person in the Atlanta food truck movement. I don’t want to pretend I knew him well, but in his early days at Harry’s events I got there early and did get to speak with him a few times. He was a genuinely nice guy.

I believe he was 40. A non-smoker, he died of lung cancer, I believe about eight months after being diagnosed. He’s been honored by the United Way for his charity work. Left behind a wife and two very young children, the youngest I think is one-year old. Nice guy and a definite pioneer in the grubber world.

RIP Terry Hall from one of your earliest fans.   

I don't usually chime in on RIP's but Terry was an amazing guy, I too didn't know him well but knew him enough to high five him at events and get asked to come and photograph other things by he or his team.   We (I say we, meaning Deanne's employer) used Happy Belly truck and his terrific catering service on several events in Piedmont Park and other venues around Atlanta, they were always spot on and provided some braggable food rather than the mundane crap that usually comes from food vendors. We too will miss him.  Prayers to his family. 

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »

GG>-  Give if you can to his kids college fund..

Terrence "Terry" M. Hall
(May 8, 1973 - February 11, 2014)

Terrence
U.S. Veteran

Terrence “Terry” M. Hall, age 40, of Cumming, Georgia passed away peacefully at his home surrounded by family on February 11, 2014. Terry was born on May 8, 1973 in Hammond, Louisiana and grew up in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. He graduated from Ponchatoula High School in 1991, attended Southeastern Louisiana University then joined the United States Air Force. Later, Terry’s hospitality career took him to many cities across the country. He eventually settled in Atlanta, Georgia.

Terry was the creator & founder of Happy Belly Curbside Kitchen. In two short years, Happy Belly has grown to be one of the top food truck companies in the United States with operations based in Atlanta, Georgia. Terry shared this success with the love of his life, his wife, Dawn Burnette Hall. He had the courage to leave the stability of a great career to pursue his dream and succeed as an entrepreneur. No different than the business he created, his military service to our country, his courageous six-month cancer battle, or his life as a whole…. Terry gave it his all.

Terry was an outgoing, loving and caring man who simply loved people and was deeply committed to his family. He enjoyed water and snow skiing, boating, fishing, wood working and riding his motorcycle. Terry was extremely talented, ambitious and determined with a great work ethic to match. He had the unique ability to use his imagination, solve problems, create solutions and had the desire to leave his mark on the world. Terry was very involved with the Boys and Girls Club of Metro Atlanta, as well as, served on various boards of community organizations. His legacy will remain within our community and in our hearts for many years to come.

Terry is survived by his beloved wife, Dawn Burnette Hall, daughter Mayer Lynne Hall, age 5, and son, Henry Terrence Hall, age 6 months, of Cumming, Georgia.

He is also survived by his mother and stepfather, David & Cathy Felder Havel of Ponchatoula, Louisiana; in-laws Marshall & Lilian Burnette of Wesley Chapel, Florida and Dan & Lynne Knowles of Cumming, Georgia; grandmothers, Yvonne Verneiul Felder of Ponchatoula, Louisiana and Louise Walder of Lacombe, Louisiana; sisters Bridget Hall Anderson of Ponchatoula, Louisiana, Amie Hall Bruno of Cumming, Georgia, Wendy Havel Gagnard of New Orleans, Louisiana and Billie Jo Havel of Kentwood, Louisiana; sisters in law Tracy Burnette Rex of Marietta, Georgia and Christy Burnette Horner of Johnson City, Tennessee; brother John David Havel of Louisiana; brothers in law Marshall Joshua Burnette of Nashville, Tennessee and Clay Odell Knowles of Athens, Georgia; nephews Avery Anderson, Connor Bruno, Lane & Tobey Gagnard, Jr., and Kyle & Colin Rex; niece Abigail Anderson. He is also survived by an extended family of aunts, uncles and cousins.

Terry was preceded in death by his grandfather, Lester C. Felder, Jr. and uncle Gordon W. Felder.

Visitation Service:

Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm McDonald & Son Funeral Home 150 Sawnee Drive Cumming, Georgia 30040

Funeral Service with Military Honors:

Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:00 pm St. Brendan the Navigator Catholic Church 4633 Shiloh Road Cumming, Georgia 30040

A celebration of Terry’s life will immediately follow his funeral service.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to a special college fund for Terry’s children, Mayer & Henry Hall. “Terry’s Legacy Lives On” can be found at www.youcaring.com/terryslegacyliveson

An interment service will be held in March (date to be determined) in Terry’s hometown of Ponchatoula, Louisiana.

Arrangements by McDonald and Son Funeral Home & Crematory, 150 Sawnee Drive, Cumming, GA 30040 (770) 886-9899

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/04/steven_shaw_pioneer_of_online.html

R.I.P. Steven Shaw of eGullet and several other online food communities. He will be greatly missed. :(
Food is my favorite.