Author Topic: Anyone ever lose their ability to taste anything?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline terry

Anyone ever lose their ability to taste anything?
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
I lost my ability to taste anything. I cannot taste bitter, salt, sour or sweet. I can feel spicy foods, but cannot taste it. Spicy foods now just cause me pain. Kind of like the feeling/pain you get after biting your tongue.

Bread has no taste to me. When I eat it, I feel that it is stale or fake.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

I've had this for about three weeks. When it first started, I thought it was not me, but the food. I was throwing out perfectly good food.

I ate some chocolate and nearly spit it out.

Beer has no taste. I drank a beer with some friends and they said that the beer was great. I thought something was seriously wrong with it. It was like drinking carbonated water.

I researched this online and found that I have a condition called, "ageusia." Some people will regain their sense of taste, while others never do. I had an upper respiratory infection, which can cause ageusia.

As someone in the food industry, I have to have the ability to taste foods. I guess I can be considered a chef without a palate.
technical writer, webmaster and P/T chef at a restaurant OTP

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
Re: Anyone ever lose their ability to taste anything?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:01:14 PM »
Have you talked to your doctor? If not, I recommend doing so.

Do you suffer from allergies or other sinus problems? Smell and taste are connected together. Sometimes sinus problems can cause loss of taste. Again, I recommend talking to your health care provider.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
I lost my sense of taste for about a month after I had a bad sinus infection, but it did eventually return.

Offline totm

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:31:43 AM »
My eldest daughter lost her taste of salt after having her thyroid cancer treated.

A good friend (and former chef at Tom-tom) lost his sense of taste after a dental procedure.  The drugs used were either bad or incorrectly administered.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Girly

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »
http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/cancer-and-creativity-one-chefs-true-story

Interesting story about Grant Achatz temporarily losing his sense of taste and how he compensated for it.

Hope whatever is the issue gets figured out, Terry!

Offline terry

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »
It's been over a month since this started and I've recovered partially. I still can't taste sweets that well.

Lost a few pounds though.
technical writer, webmaster and P/T chef at a restaurant OTP